In September 2010 (the same year I made the original pond) I decided that in order to properly accommodate my growing koi, I would have to expand. This was a big job - lucky for me I had help!
First we drained the existing pond, removed the fish and frogs and using a shovel or two, a wheelbarrow and a whole lot of sweat the digging commenced!
I had help from my son-in-laws, Dave and Sam and my husband, David. Amy was a big help too! If the shape of the hole looks strange it is because I had to work around a massive piece of granite - yes the Canadian Shield surfaces in our back yard!
These are some of the rocks pulled from the hole. Dave manhandled a few monsters out (like that one in front of the wheelbarrow) - amazing! And, as always I was happy to use the rocks around the pond or in my garden.
Oh, and this is what we did with the fish while we worked. A giant rubbermaid tub held the koi and water lilies and a plastic garbage can held the goldfish.
We were happy when the frogs decided to stick around!
After getting the basic hole dug I went around, tweaking the shape.
Next we carefully put down the cloth underlay to protect the liner from roots or sharp stones that might work their way up through the ground.
I walked around the underlay in my sock feet to make sure all was smooth underneath.
Then came the liner - heavy sucker! Lifting a liner is like carrying a dead weight! We spread it out...
...and spent a long time making pleats to accommodate the curves of the pond.
Then I put gravel on the flat surfaces and a few rocks in the pond.
**Note! This was a temporary design meant to see the fish through to the spring when we would add rocks another biofalls and a skimmer.
I placed a maxflo 4000 in the bottom of the pond and ran the hose to my biofalls.
I replaced the water lilies and other plants and added water!
Then I reintroduced the fish. Well, not all the fish! I decided to keep the goldfish out of the pond (with the exception of one shebunkin - Pongo) so they wouldn't mass produce.
The fish explored every inch of their new surroundings. I thought they would hide for a while, but no, they seemed completely unfazed by the bigger pond.